Tuesday, May 02, 2006

More Thoughts on Immigration

Since I wrote last I had a couple more thoughts on immigration.
What if the immigrants smuggle in a dirty bomb? This is serious. It's major. But it can happen on any border, or it can be made within a country. It's really a matter for Homeland Security. They should have thought about it, and they should involve rules on immigration if and when indicated.
America is often called a nation of immigrants. At the time of the Haymaker Riots, it is reported that more than half the population of Chicago were immigrants. There were more Germans than any other nationality, and they were hated. Like the Irish, and the Italians. Immigrants seem always to have been looked down on.
As for enforcing the laws on entry, if there are more than 11 million illegal immigrants now, and the law isn't being enforced, shouldn't lawmakers ask themselves if they really want such a law? If the answer is yes, should a wall be built along that 2000 mile border? A Berlin Wall? Does that sound like America? It sounds more like the Middle Ages, or the Communists.
I like the message on the Statue of Liberty better:
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed. to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home